Play for the Planet:
Board games as instruments to teach Sustainability
Erasmus Plus - Cooperation partnerships in school education
NEED / PROBLEM
This project is intended to respond to the need to raise awareness of the increasingly worrying environmental situation. This will be done through the creation of innovative educational tools, thanks to which youth workers will be able to work with young people on these issues. The tools will focus on the effects of the pandemic in terms of the generation of single-use plastics, which, improperly disposed of, are causing real damage to the environment and our planet.
The process of gammification in activities dealing with such sensitive topics will bring young people closer to understanding the situation and make them aware of the changes they need to make in their daily behaviour to contribute to a better environment, and thus to improve their quality of life in the long term.
The project lifespan goes from the 1st of December 2022
to the 30th of November 2024
- To provide tools for teachers to work with young pupils on environmental issues, especially related to the danger of single-use plastics for our planet.
- Raise awareness among young pupils about the danger to our planet if we do not take appropriate measures to protect it.
- To create non-formal and sophisticated tools for teaching environmental education.
- Direct target group: school teachers, tutors, teachers' associations and networks representing all the actors to which the project is directed with the results of the project.
- Indirect target group: by pupils between 6 and 12 years old, in particular pupils from primary schools from the partners’ countries and the families of the primary school pupils.
WP1: SAVE THE PLANET, SAVE YOURSELF - BOARD GAME:
In this phase the structure of the board game with its mechanics and game dynamics and the necessary game components will be created; the instructions and prototype will be developed in English and in the languages of the partner countries.
Teachers and education professionals will be supported and empowered by an educational tool that will be a resource in the teaching and learning process on environmental issues.
WP2: SAVE THE PLANET, SAVE YOURSELF - APP GAME:
A multimedia game will be created on the theme of environmental awareness and the danger of single-use plastic for our planet, with the purpose of being a resource for education professionals and families to support primary school pupils in acquiring ecological skills and sustainable habits to become future sustainable citizens. Primary school pupils will become more motivated, involved and interested in environmental issues.
WP3: GUIDE FOR TRAINING OF TEACHERS AND PILOTING:
A training plan and a pilot test will be developed. After having collected and analysed evaluations and opinions from teachers and pupils, the complete guide will be developed. It will equip teachers and schools with gamified educational tools and improve teachers' preparedness to apply game-based learning methodologies and gamification in their classes. Students will be made more aware of the environmental hazards of single-use plastic and will develop green skills and attitudes.